Saturday, February 23, 2008

"To be honest with you …"

Recently, I've come to hear a lot of people around me prefacing workaday or banal speech with the phrase "to be honest with you.…" The phrase has never caused me to give much notice before, so either it's gained more currency or I'm listening differently. I often stop now for a moment and think, Wait! was everything that you said previously without the phrase attached not given in honesty? How often should I trust anything you say that doesn't carry the disclaimer? Half of the time? And later on in the day, when you say, "To be perfectly honest with you …," should I just dismiss it as meaningless verbiage, or start to wonder about the truth of your less-qualified "honest" statements of the morning?

To be honest with you, I don't know!

No comments: